Friday 25 January 2008

Favourite Wines - the Reds



Gibston
Chard Farm, Gibston, Nr Queenstown

I posted a note about one of my favourite white wines last summer - the spectacular Napa Valley Far Niente. Now that beautiful white wine has been joined by another of great quality - Devil's Lair from the Margaret River area of Australia (where others that I love, such as Cullen and Vasse Felix, also live.)

But now that winter is upon us reds are more welcome, particularly my favourite New Zealand Pinot Noirs. It's difficult to chose between Cloudy Bay, Neudorf, Mt Difficulty and Villa Maria (who make the Wine Society's fine Exhibition Pinot Noir), with Chard Farm's Viper coming in close behind, but who cares? They are all delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:24 pm

    A most remarkable journal Herry. Spectacular photos, information, provocative quotes and glorious Chopin playing as I leave this comment.

    Splendid!

    Miss L. Lee
    Nanaimo, Britich Columbia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to visit Far Niente Winerysoon. :-)

    Have you watched the movie” Sideways”?

    From Sideways:

    Maya: Why are you so into Pinot Noir. I mean, it’s like a thing with you.

    Miles: I don't know, Um, it's a hard grape to grow, as you know, right? It's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early, you know. It's not a survivor like Cabernet, which can just grow anywhere and thrive even when it's neglected. No, Pinot Noir needs constant care and attention. In fact, it can grow only in these really specific tucked-away corners of the world. And only the most patient and nurturing of growers can do it, really. Only somebody who really takes the time to understand Pinot Noir's potential can then coax it into its full expression. And then, I mean, oh, it's flavors. They're just the most haunting and brilliant and thrilling and subtle and ancient on the planet. No, I mean you know, cabernets can be powerful and exalting too, but they seem prosaic to me, by comparison. What about you?
    Maya: what about me?

    Miles: I don't know why are you into wine?

    Maya: I like to think about the life of wine, you know. How it’s a living thing. I like to think about what was going on the year of grapes were growing. How the sun was shining, if it rained. I like to think about all the people who tended and picked the grapes. And if it is an old wine, how many of them must be dead by now. I like how wine continues to evolve, like if I opened a bottle of wine today, it would taste different than if I opened it on any other day. Because a bottle of wine is actually alive, and it is constantly evolving and gaining complexity. That is until it peaks, like you ’61, and then it begins its steady, inevitable decline.

    ReplyDelete